Getting Around Vancouver Mainland

U-Pass BC Student Transit Pass

The Universal Transit Pass BC (U-Pass) is a mandatory program for Simon Fraser University students who are enrolled in at least one on-campus course. The U-Pass provides unlimited, all-zone access to public transit in Metro Vancouver and is available on your TransLink Compass Card. Visit SFU's U-Pass website for information on how to obtain your U-Pass.

Public Transit

Metro Vancouver has a transit system (known as TransLink) that includes buses (including express and night buses), the SkyTrain (an elevated rapid transit train, metro system or subway system), the SeaBus (passenger-only ferries between downtown Vancouver and the North Shore), community shuttles and the West Coast Express (a commuter train between downtown Vancouver and Mission).

key regional transit connections


The SkyTrain is an elevated rapid transit train. SkyTrain links with a network of buses at many stations and the SeaBus at Waterfront Station in downtown Vancouver. SkyTrain run every three to five minutes. Three lines are currently in operation:

  • SkyTrain’s Expo Line trains operate from Waterfront to King George Station. Four downtown stations are underground and marked at street level.
  • Millennium Line trains make the same stops from Waterfront to Columbia, before branching to Sapperton, Braid, Lougheed Town Centre and beyond to Commercial Drive, adjacent to Broadway Station.
  • Canada Line trains operate between Waterfront and YVR Airport, as well as between Waterfront and Richmond-Brighouse Station.

West Coast Express:

West Coast Express is a Monday to Friday commuter rail service operating during peak morning and evening periods between downtown Vancouver and Mission. On a limited basis, on weekdays, a TrainBus service using highway coaches is also provided.

Community Shuttles:

Public transportation also includes smaller local community shuttles, which are often wheelchair-equipped. Areas of operation include New Westminster, Burnaby Heights and the Tri Cities areas.

Visit the TransLink website for schedules, trip planning, route maps and further information.



Full-time international students may drive in BC with valid international driving licenses or a valid out-of-province licence.

If an international student wants to get a B.C. driver's licence, they will need to provide proof of your driving history. To get a full-privilege B.C. driver's licence, you must have had a driver's licence (not a learner's) in your home jurisdiction for at least two years.

For information on providing your driving history documents, including translations, please see ICBC web page: Proving your driving experience

Carpooling/ Carsharing

Rideshare (carpooling or sharing a ride with other students) is an affordable way to commute to SFU’s campuses. Please visit:

Carsharing is simple: it's people sharing the costs of and access to cars. Carsharers have the use of hundreds of cars at drastically reduced costs. You pay by the hour and kilometre.

How does it work? Book a car, (Cars are located in permanent spots; this means you can book the exact vehicle you need for the exact time you need it) go on your trip, then finally, return the car to the same spot.

There are several companies for carsharing in Vancouver Mainland:

Note: These companies are neither endorsed by, nor affiliated with, Simon Fraser University. This information is simply listed as a resource and guide for international students looking for car sharing options. Simon Fraser University assumes no liability for any disputes arising from any of the services advertised.


Cycling is a convenient and environmentally friendly way to get around Metro Vancouver. Designated bicycle routes around the city make travel easier for cyclists. Below are some tips for buying and riding your bike in Vancouver. Most buses are equipped for bike transportation. The SkyTrain also allows you to bring your bike aboard during non-rush-hour traffic. Visit the Visit the TransLink website for detailed cycling information and route maps. Also soon (Summer 2014) Vancouver will have a bike share program.

Buying a bicycle

A used bike is much less expensive than a new one. You can find used bikes for sale through the classified sections of newspapers and some bicycle stores (check the Yellow Pages). Your bike must have a bell and front and rear lights. You must also wear a helmet; it is the law unless you wear a turban. Bike theft is common — buy a good bicycle lock and use it whenever you leave your bike unattended.

Rules of the Road

Vancouver and Burnaby have a developed system of bikeways for cyclists. In Canada, cyclists must follow the same traffic safety laws as anyone driving a motorized vehicle.

For your personal safety and that of others, remember to:

  • ride on the bike paths or on the right side of the road, and not on the sidewalks
  • yield to pedestrians, red lights and stop signs
  • ride single-file
  • hand-signal before turning

Bike Lane Maps

'A Few Good Minds' Blog

For a taste of what Beedie School of Business students are involved in both inside and outside of the classroom, please check out our student blog:

Program Information

For detailed information on our Full-Time MBA, please visit: About MBA

To set up a meeting with an admissions advisor, please contact