Life as an MSc student
As a full-time SFU Beedie MSc student, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in a number of extra-curricular events and activities to enrich your educational experience.
Classes are held at the Segal Graduate School of Business campus in the heart of Downtown Vancouver. It’s an impressive, 60,000 square feet building that houses over 250 graduate students from our various programs. Vancouver itself is consistently voted one of the world’s most beautiful and livable cities in the world.
If admitted into the program, you will have the opportunity to apply for SFU’s new Vancouver Graduate Residence, located in the SFU Downtown Business Innovation Centre. It consists of 52 apartment-style residential units, and is primarily for graduate students. You will be able to choose between:
- A Studio apartment ($4,800/term)
- A two-bedroom shared apartment ($3,400/term per student)
- A two-bedroom + study shared apartment ($3,800/term per student)
All apartments are equipped with:
- A washroom, kitchen, and storage room.
- Furniture (couch, dining table, bed, wardrobe, etc.).
- Laundry facilities that are shared with the building.
- Elevator access.
- High-speed Internet, utilities (heat, electricity, and hot water), and basic cable.
Networking and competitions
Each year our students participate in various competitions where you get to apply and demonstrate what you’ve learned in the classroom.
- National Investment Banking Competition: A pressure-packed 5-hour challenge to create a buy-side M&A presentation and pitch to a panel of judges and 300 delegates.
- CFA Global Investment Research Challenge: Students create a detailed research report for a company and defend their investment thesis to a panel of judges.
- ENGAGE International Investment Education Symposium: In association with the United Nations Global Compact, this is the world’s largest Student Managed Portfolio Competition. Colleges and universities with student managed portfolios from across the US and Canada compete based on their twelve-month risk-adjusted yearly returns in the areas of growth, value, blend/core and asset allocation styles of management. Beedie MSc Finance students have won the top prize four years in a row.
A Few Good Minds blog
For the most up-to-date look at elements of life at SFU Beedie, including competition news, please visit our student blog, A Few Good Minds. If you are an international student, visit International Student Experience.